[Gllug] Was there Power Outage at Telehouse?

Ryland, Peter peter.ryland at squaregain.co.uk
Fri Aug 18 08:40:27 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 23:54 +0100, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> Each PDU outputs 3 phase, and you can have feeds from the same phase on
> two different PDUs. Most data centres also allow feeds from different
> phases of the same PDU. I'm not quite sure how they arrange to make sure
> you never get ~450 volts across your kit, but it can be done.

Sorry, minor nitpick: you multiply by sqrt(3) to get the voltage across
two phases, so you get:

Nominal  Nominal
single   3-phase
phase:   voltage:
220V     380V
230V     400V
240V     415V

This is because they are out of phase by 120 degrees, and they add like
vectors.

Pete

This communication is confidential and is intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you are not that person you are not permitted to make use of
the information and you are requested to notify
postmaster at squaregain.co.uk immediately that you have
received it and then destroy the copy in your possession.
Squaregain Ltd is authorised and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority and is a member of the LSE.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk