[Gllug] [OT] Appreciation

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 17 14:30:11 UTC 2006

On Sun 17 Dec, Juergen Schinker wrote:

> Am So, 17.12.2006, 00:04, schrieb Chris Bell:

> >    You don't require apt-proxy, but it does reduce the amount of data that
> > has to be downloaded from the internet if you have multiple machines.
>
> You could build an rsync-mirror as well

apt-proxy can use rsync, but according to the documentation it is more
efficient to let it download the compressed udebs as required, then keep the
most recent versions of only the software packages you need, rather than the
single latest version of everything

> Note that there are images for all the architectures
> > covered
> > by the Debian system, plus the source code.
>
> and there are even more arch and more languages covered by Gentoo and even
> binaries

How many? Even the Debian installer can be used in about 50 languages, with
12 architecture groups which cover most types of hardware. I have not seen a
count of official software packages in the current Etch, but it is quite a
few more than the approximately 15500 in Sarge

> >    You consider bleeding edge software to be stable?
> >

>  No but on Gentoo you can use bleeding edge on a stable plattform
> on Debian you'llhave to choose one or the other...

Is Gentoo that restrictive? On Debian you can choose to install individual
Debian packages from any of the distributions from unstable to retired
stable, or any other software as "local" where the Debian system will not
attempt to modify it every time a new version becomes available. Needless to
say there is a comprehensive range of development tools if you wish to add
your own software.

--
Chris Bell