[Gllug] External HDD for booting

Christian Smith csmith at thewrongchristian.org.uk
Tue Dec 19 16:56:01 UTC 2006

Jon Dye uttered:

> Hi,
>
> [snip]
>
> I am guessing that the kernel is loaded entirely into memory and so
> once it's there and running there is no need for any more CD access
> (assuming I put all the drivers in the kernel or an initrd), is that
> correct?

Yes. The kernel is loaded in it's entirety by the loader, generally using
BIOS calls. Once loaded, the original boot device is not required.

You will need USB block device support, along with generic SCSI block
device support, in you initrd. And use LVM and/or filesystem labels for
root filesystem selection, as the device id of the root device may change
as USB devices are added and removed between boots.

--
     /"\
     / \