[Gllug] Configuring SPF to cope with secondary incoming mail servers

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Dec 4 15:03:46 UTC 2006

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 01:50:36PM +0000, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 13:33 +0000, john at sinodun.org.uk wrote:
> > I've been doing a bit of research on how one can configure SPF for
> > incoming mail if you don't have control over your secondary MX servers
> > (typically because they belong to your ISP).
>
> SPF is a waste of everyone's time and effort.  Ignore it, it'll go away.

I disagree ... my logs show that I refuse to accept quite a bit of mail because
it fails SPF checks ... I have looked at little closer at some of them & it
seems to be doing the right thing.

The only real problem that I have with SPF is some mail lists hosted on clara-net,
their mail list s/ware posts mail on with it coming from me - this causes SPF
problems. One of their MX servers also seems to have the check reversed and bounces
any mail that I send from one of my SPF servers. Moral: don't use clara-net.

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>