[Gllug] just a quick question

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Feb 15 19:38:08 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Christian Smith prattled cheerily:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Dani Pardo wrote:
>>  There are admins that resist to changes (maybe to busy to bother with
>>new things). So they are stuck with Suns. When you show them that with
>>bash you can use the arrow to go back in command history, they almost
>>cry in illusion.
>
> Then they are stupid. Download bash for them from sunfreeware.

That doesn't help. I have admins of this nature at work. Not only do
they resist using all the free software I may install, they resist vim
and even nvi (one uses ed exclusively!), and even resist ^Z (and unbound
`stty susp' by default).

The particularly ridiculous thing is that this remains true on the
company's Linux boxes. Linux boxes using pdksh as an interactive shell
with the terminfo carefully broken so that arrow scrolling is broken,
*shudder*.

(They actually tried to *remove* the bash and perl packages, but rpm
sensibly told them no.)

--
`... follow the bouncing internment camps.' --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk