[Gllug] /etc under version control

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Feb 14 23:21:35 UTC 2006

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Tethys whispered secretively:

> Richard Jones writes:
>
>>I wonder if anyone has tried to put /etc under version control
>
> Err... recant? When it's written, of course :-)

Yes, well, as soon as I've squashed these hideous hardware problems (by
replacing the whole motherboard on my most important machine) that'll be
underway again.

I'd not really recommend recanting /etc without a lot of thought,
because you'll need to get PostgreSQL up before you can mount anything;
I guess you could do it by having a skeleton /etc, just enough to get
postgres running, and then mount --move it somewhere else and overmount
the real /etc. Hm. That's an idea... ;)

--
`... follow the bouncing internment camps.' --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk