[Gllug] just a quick question

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 17:52:30 UTC 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 02:42:15PM +0000, Dan Kolb wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 01:50:08PM +0000, Tethys wrote:
> >
> > "Martin A. Brooks" writes:
> >
> > >Yep.  HP server kit has proper serial BIOSes these days.  I believe even
> > >the cheaper H^HDell stuff does, too. All x86 blades have it too. As does
> > >the Sun x86 kit I was installing last week.
> >
> > Really? Last time I tried, you needed to buy an extra Remote Insight
> > PCI card in order to get remote access with HP kit (for the Compaq
> > derived stuff, at least). Even then, it's browser based, rather than
> > being a proper serial console. But it's still beside the point. The
>
> Yes. I remember using BIOS-over-serial console on some Dell rackmount servers
> back in 2002/2003. It even got to the point of seeing Win2000 start to boot
> before the system switched into graphical mode (and then VNC took over for
> remote admin purposes)

the ilo that comes with HP now has a console over ssh so you can ignore
the gui console provided your server isn't running X (which I would
expect it isn't). the gui requires a license but the text console
doesn't (and the text console is preferred). hp also provide a number of
binaries for interacting with the firmware + raid h/w.

I don't know if all DL3{6,8}0s come with ILO as standard or if one must
buy it as an extra.

I'd say the gap between HP's ilo and sun's alom has been narrowed
considerably.

cheers,

ben.

--