[Gllug] Ethernet crossover wiring

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Fri Feb 24 19:04:22 UTC 2006

Ryan Cartwright <ryan at crimperman.org> writes:

> I remember a place where I worked once where shared a phone and a PC
> on the same CAT-5 socket using standard CAT-5 splitters. The problem
> being that standard splitters split eight wires to two presenting to
> pins 1,2,3,6 on the two sockets. Phones use 1,2,3,4 thus for each
> split connection I had to make up a cable that crossed 1,2,3,4 to
> 1,2,3,6 and re-solder the Mod-tap (to enable the phones to plug into
> the CAT-5
> socket). After doing that a hundered times the problems of cross-over
> CAT-5 cables seemed easy.

Well I guess this answers the question I never got around to asking of
whether I should use one cable for both phone and ethernet connections.

I'm quite glad now that it was an option I never seriously entertained.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child," for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely