[Gllug] just a quick question

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 16 09:14:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 08:06:46AM +0000, Paul Rayner wrote:

> On 15 Feb 2006, at 20:28, Ian Northeast wrote:
>
> >Nix wrote:
> >
> >One of my colleagues put "set -o vi" in root's profile on a bunch of
> >Linux boxes. This subtly breaks arrow scrolling - all is well except
> >that you cannot get past the end of the line, so you cannot append to
> >it or delete the last character.

I disagree that it breaks arrow scrolling. If you use vi to append to a
line you cannot use the right arrow to scroll past the last character on
a line. You must move from editing mode to insert mode using something
like <shift>-A (as mentioned below) or simply "a" if already at the end
of the line.

> This is how most of the user accounts I use (bash on RHEL) are set up.
> It was annoying until I discovered that Escape Shift A (append in vi)
> jumps you straight to the end of the line, just past the last
> character. Much better than pressing right arrow x times, but hardly
> obvious unless you use vi.

Well, it is vi editing mode, so if you set -o vi, I think it's fair that
knowledge of vi be assumed!

Ben.

ps I like vi editing mode and if I had my way set -o vi would be in
/etc/profile!!! Yes, this isn't a good idea but I like vi editing mode.

(hits <escape-shift>-g <shift>-O and starts a new line! muhuhuhahahahahaha!!!!!) :-)

--
Registered Linux user number 339435
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk