[Gllug] kernel symbols

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 17:25:31 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have just got veritas foundation suite for redhat EL 3.

Q13520H_fst.lxrt2.2MP1.redhatlinux.tar.gz

I have installed two rpms:

[root at vxfstest rhel3_i686]# rpm -qa | grep VRT
VRTSvlic-3.00-009
VRTSvxfs-3.4.4-RHEL3

Unfortunately the module load of vxfs fails with "unresolved symbol".

Here is the output plus some useful info:

[root at vxfstest root]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon)
[root at vxfstest root]# insmod /etc/vx/kernel/vxfs.o.2.4.21-4.EL
/etc/vx/kernel/vxfs.o.2.4.21-4.EL: unresolved symbol
zone_table_Rfed7f1da
/etc/vx/kernel/vxfs.o.2.4.21-4.EL: unresolved symbol irq_stat_R94d0d943
/etc/vx/kernel/vxfs.o.2.4.21-4.EL: unresolved symbol
kstat_percpu_R36be3151
/etc/vx/kernel/vxfs.o.2.4.21-4.EL:
Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
      and it has unresolved symbols.  Contact the module supplier for
            assistance, only they can help you.

[root at vxfstest root]# ksyms -a | egrep
'(zone_table|irq_stat|kstat_percpu)'
c03b9fc0  irq_stat_R7cc749e2
c03ba4c0  kstat_percpu_Rabb1d027
c03ddab8  zone_table_Rebd72cac
[root at vxfstest root]# uname -a
Linux vxfstest 2.4.21-4.EL #1 Fri Oct 3 17:52:56 EDT 2003
i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
[root at vxfstest root]# rpm -qi VRTSvxfs
Name        : VRTSvxfs                     Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 3.4.4                             Vendor: VERITAS Software Corporation Inc.
<snip>

Can you advise which kernel version / RHEL version I can use to get
this going? I'd rather not turn of module symbols to work around this.

>From the release notes:

   The 3.4 Update 4 release is on the VERITAS Storage Solutions 2.2
   Maintenance Pack 1 CD and operates on the following operating system:
    *  Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 (AS, ES, WS)

Yet the kernel symbols for 2.4.21-4.EL do not match vertias' modules.

Am I correct in thinking that kernel modules have symbols compiled in
and these do not change once compiled. If so, how can I have the above
mismatch? Perhaps I'm doing someting very silly. I hope so as that would
mean a quick solution!

I may be labouring under a false understanding of ksyms...

Thanks,

Ben.

--
Registered Linux user number 339435