[Gllug] Co-lo

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Jan 10 15:00:29 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 02:49:55PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:12:59AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > These are fixed in 3.x series, but the first 'stable' release
> > of this series took alot longer to bake than people were expecting &
> > as can be seen to previous Fedora Xen rawhide kernels, there has been
> > frequent breakage when syncing with upstream kernels.
>
> How good is AMD64 support?  As you might have gathered from my
> original post, we're planning to build a server and co-locate it, but
> 64 bit support is an absolute requirement for the software running in
> the guest OSes.  (Our software requires 64 bit address spaces).  Xen
> 3.0 seems to support it, but it's not clear how stable it is in
> reality.

I've not tried Xen with AMD-64 myself, but I'd expect it to be fairly
good & certainly if there were significant issues they'd get fixed pretty
quickly, since basically all serious x86 server hardware these days is
64-bit with 32-bit  going the way of the dodo. IIRC, the Intel chips with
virtualization extensions for example are all 64-bit. If you don't want
to experiment with upstream Xen, then best bet would be to just grab the
Fedora Core Test-2 release when it comes out in a few weeks & run some
stress tests to see how stable the AMD64 is.

Regards,
Dan.