[Gllug] [OT] VMWare Player

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Jan 25 10:42:24 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 12:06:46AM +0000, john levin wrote:
> Simon Morris wrote:
> >Just in case people haven't seen this.
> >
> >The VMWare player is now a free (as in cost) download and runs very
> >well on Linux.
> >
> >With the player you cannot create new virtual machines but there are
> >some available to download that run in the player and if you know
> >someone with the VMWare workstation version you can create them and
> >take them away with you..
> >
> >So you can now test new software (like the CRM software Simon Wilcox
> >recommended) without trashing your existing install. I loves it
> >
> >The VMWare Player
> >http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
> >
> >Virtual Machine Downloads
> >http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/vm/community.html
> >
> >--
> >~sm
>
> I've been using VMware Player quite a bit recently, on WinXP. Dare I say
> (dons flame-retardant) that it makes using Windows palatable? There's
> quite a few images - I currently have Debian, 2x *BSDs, Ubuntu, Kubuntu,
> (and the VMWare Browser Appliance based on Ubuntu), KDE on Suse.
>
> Now I just have to find a way to share data between all these images. Is
> such a thing possible?

Not sure about the restricted functionality VMWare Player, but the VMWare GSX
server allowed you to setup a network bridge across the VM and the host OS
network. If that's still possible in VMWare Player, then you can just let
your VM boot, grab a dhcp address & then directly mount a samba/nfs share
from any machine on your LAN.

QEMU has at least 6 different ways of setting up networking, to enable
access to either the host, or wider LAN - you can even setup a 100%
userspace virtual network across QEMU instances using IP multicast which
is particularly fun !

Regards,
Dan.