[Gllug] Hardware SCSI RAID

Matthew Cooke mpcooke3 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 18 22:48:07 UTC 2006

>>Matthew Cooke wrote:
>>I tried this card, and it seemed to work fine but it won't detect one of
>>the disks at all. I am now of the view that the failed format I needlessly
>>tried earlier may have killed my lovely new SCSI disk...
>
>Unlikely.  Go to $manufacturer's website and download their diagnostic tool
>for whatever type of disk >you have.

I will try that. Though I am sceptical that it will may not work if the
controller isn't picking it up at all.

>Oh, and _do_ learn to to quote emails properly :)

I know linux mailing lists and Linux IRC channels are particularly well
known for being newbie unfriendly with useful comments such as "use a
different distro" or in this case "use a different RAID controller" and for
helpful comments about ones lack of email ettiquete. I would however like to
say a couple of things in my defence:

A) The quoting was probably not applied correctly by hotmails web front end
since it expects you to top post. The reason i didn't top post (as per
usual) was largely due to the fact that I thought someone would complain -
in the same way as business people frequently complain to me if I don't top
post.

B) I don't usually use hotmails web front end, I normally use thunderbird
but unfortunately the webmail-to-POP software I use is actually on the
server currently in pieces on the floor. Thunderbird would have quoted it
correctly for me.

Matt.

PS I manually requoted this email, I hope that works out.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk