[Gllug] Recommendations for open source photo management software

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Mon Jan 2 16:37:22 UTC 2006

Hi Folks,

I've got an ever growing archive of digitized photographs that is
getting somewhat out of control, so I'm looking for a good software
package to manage them. I'd like to think I've not got too many
difficult requirements....

First of all, it would have to be a local desktop based tool - since
I keep high resolution scans (60 MB each) as the master image, managing
via the web is not really (bandwidth/speed) practical.

Second, rich support for associating arbitrary metadata with images,
or groups of images (eg, location, description, lens type, film type,
exposure, etc, etc).

Full categorization - ie, not restricted to oragnizing / navigating
based on folder hierarchy.

Printing of thumnail views of folders / categories

Easy export of folders / categories to CD/DVD or remote web photo
publishing tools.

Support for generating arbitrarily resized images - not just thumbnails,
but low res images for web upload, medium res for desktop background
images, etc, etc

Does anyone have any recommendations for tools fullfilling these
needs on Linux ?

Oh, and a few features I don't want / particularly care about

 - Image manipulation - already have GIMP for this
 - Scanning - already have VueScan
 - Web publishing - already have Gallery

Regards,
Dan.