[Gllug] Linux MAPI client

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 11:18:27 UTC 2006

On 07/01/06, John Hearns <john.hearns at streamline-computing.com> wrote:
> On
> > IMAP, which would solve everything, but it's out of my hands and the
> > admins don't give a toss. I'm not allergic to customizing something if
> > necessary.
> I'm sorry, but that is shockingly bad behaviour.
>
> It is quite legitimate for a service department to choose their server
> platform - they make the choices based on their requirements, I'm OK
> with that.
> But mandating that a specific client is used is contrary to the whole
> way the Internet has worked for us.

I guess it depends if that service department is then expected to have
to support every available client.

In an ISP / Home user / enthusiast situation I totally agree with you
- the service provider shouldn't limit the choice of client available
to the user. In a work environment where the IT department has to
support the client side as well I can excuse some restriction in what
people can use.

I've worked in departments before where the desktop mail client was
restricted (to Lotus Notes) but then directors and other seemingly
important people would come up with every type of PDA and email
enabled mobile phone and demand support. Not a good place to be...

--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com
www: http://beerandspeech.org