[Gllug] Myth TV setup

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 14:49:33 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 11:11:55AM +0000, John Winters wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 10:31 +0000, M.Blackmore wrote:
<snip>
> If you're recording conventional terrestrial analogue signals then
> there's quite a bit of work to be done in the decoding.  This can be
> done either by the card or by your computer.  The more expensive cards
> have processing power on board and so don't need such a powerful
> computer.  I don't have any experience with analogue cards but you'll
> find information on the MythTV website.
>
> If you're recording DVB-T (Freeview) then there's very little work to be
> done.  The broadcast data is just a digital video stream so all the card
> needs to do is strip it out and let the computer save it.  It's rather
> like having an extra 2 Mbps network card - albeit one that runs rather
> hotter than a normal NIC because of the RF bits.  On my previous system
> (a 1GHz Nehemiah) I saw a 1% load when recording.  My current server is
> a 1.8GHz Athlon and the load is undetectable.

Hi,

whilst capture of digital streams may well be very small, playback is a
different matter.

Can anyone recommend combinations of CPU + graphics board that will play
back without problems. I have a 733PIII plus a graphics card with tv-out
(haven't got the name to hand right now) and that is okay with some
things but struggles with action scenes.

My recording needs are small but as my video died I'd rather convert my
pc than shell out for anything else. I'd like to keep my pc as quiet as
possible.

Thanks,

Ben.

--