[Gllug] Getting Microsoft off a Dell purchase - anyone done this?

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 6 21:44:59 UTC 2006

On Thu 06 Jul, Minty wrote:

> Can you legally re-sell the Windows licence, without accepting the terms of it?

   I believe that selling on a secondhand M$ licence could be not only
legal, but may even be condoned by M$. I am fairly sure that I have seen a
news item about saving money by buying a secondhand licence.
   However that may not be true for all M$ products. Beware also that the
purchase of a computer with OEM installed M$ XP may not be the same as
buying a computer plus a full retail copy of M$ XP. The original version of
the XP user agreement was supposed to be for a fixed term of about 2-3
years, renewable on payment of a further fee. Replacement of the OS after a
calamity was supposed to require the purchase of a new full retail copy, not
the OEM version.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk