[Gllug] DNS Question

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Sat Jun 24 09:21:44 UTC 2006

I am trying to get my hosting provider to add a pair of entries to my
DNS profile which would match as follows.

82.69.147.30    class.stonedoor.com
82.69.147.30    home.stonedoor.com

They have done this before for another server of mine, however, now they
claim that since my domain is registered via Network Solutions they
cannot add entries to my domain.  Now, use my ISP them for DNS as shown
clearly in a whois.

   Domain Name: STONEDOOR.COM

   Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
      Farnsworth, Andy          farnsaw[ a t ]STONEDOOR.COM
      Farnsworth Consulting
      XXXX XXX XXXXXXX
      XXXXXXXXX, XX XXXXX
      US
      (XXX) XXX-XXXX

   Record expires on 08-Jun-2014.
   Record created on 08-Jun-1999.
   Database last updated on 24-Jun-2006 04:57:02 EDT.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS.WEB2010.COM               216.65.3.100
   NS2.WEB2010.COM              216.157.79.246
   NS4.WEB2010.COM              216.157.55.6
   NS3.WEB2010.COM              216.157.47.6

Am I wrong in thinking that my ISP has control of the DNS even though
they claim they don't?  Is there a way to get the entire entry
information for a domain from a DNS server remotely?

Andy Farnsworth

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk