[Gllug] Is it me or are the CPUs getting slower?

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 17:51:43 UTC 2006

On 6/2/06, John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:

> > look for cpuspeed in your services, it will lower the cup speed until it
> > is required, or should at least.
>
> "services"?  That's not a term I'm familiar with in a Linux context
> (except for /etc/services).  There doesn't seem to be a process of that
> name running.

It's a Red Hat term. Anything in /etc/init.d is called a service, and
can be started/stopped etc with the "service" command. You can check
which services should be running at any given run level with ntsysv,
or check which run levels a given service is configured to run at with
chkconfig. I assume there's some equivalent in the Debian world.

For the purposes of this discussion, "ps auxww | grep cpuspeed" should
tell you if that's the problem.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk