[Gllug] I have a windows problem

will will at willj.net
Tue Jun 27 09:36:54 UTC 2006

But I caused it from Linux, so this isn't completely OT! (and I figure
that the brains on this list may know the solution).

On my shiny new work PC I had Windows XP installed.  I shrunk the NTFS
partition and installed Linux.  The disk layout now looks like this:

[will at localhost ~]$ cat /proc/partitions
major minor  #blocks  name

    8     0   78125000 sda
    8     1      56196 sda1
    8     2   35841015 sda2 - Windows
    8     3     265072 sda3 - /boot
    8     4          1 sda4
    8     5    2096451 sda5 - swap
    8     6   39857233 sda6 - /

The machine dual-booted just fine (I would have wiped windows completely
but there are tools I need that are windows only).  However, I didn't
want to have to reboot every time I needed to access a windows tool so I
installed VMWare.

VMWare installed fine in Linux and I pointed VMWare at the windows
partition for it's disc, however it didn't like it, VMWare just showed
the text:

GRUB

on bootup and wouldn't do anything else.  The machine still dual-booted
fine, but I had to fiddle!  I rather foolishly in my attempts to get
windows booting in VMWare ran:

grub-install /dev/hda2

Whoops.  Now the machine doesn't even dual-boot.  So this leads to my
questions:

1) How do I install a Windows XP 'boot sector' on /dev/sda2?

I am not sure of the correct terminology.  I have the XP rescue disc but
it gives me a dos prompt and I don't (nor does anyone in IT here) know
what to do with it).  I think there are 'fixmbr' tools, but I think that
the MBR is just fine, it is the 'boot sector' on /dev/sda2 that is the
issue.

Would it be possible to 'dd' the boot sector from another XP install
over the top of the broken one?  Or are there tools that will just fix
if for me?

2) How do I configure grub so I can boot from it in VMWare?

Much less important!  I guess I will try and do this once I have a
working windows partition!

Thanks for any help,
Will.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk