[Gllug] OT: Burnt out power supply

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Wed Jun 21 16:19:03 UTC 2006

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

>>I've been wanting to do this sort of test for a while and there was a
>>useful article about it in today's Independent.  As a result I
>>discovered that Maplin do a suitable measuring tool for £25 and I've
>>ordered one.  There's also an interesting looking gadget at
>>www.electrisave.co.uk, but that's rather more expensive.

I got one from the Lidl supermarket a couple of years ago (in fact I got
two).
Very similar to the Kill-a-Watt and they only cost a fiver.
I'm willing to lend mine out - on the strict understanding they come
right back.
Or keep your eyes open at Lidl and Aldi, they sell them at least once a
year.

We do lots of power measurements, in fact we have done watts per
gigaflop calculations in the past.
Rather important when like today I'm working on a cluster which is
drawing 50 amps -
from each of three phases!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk