[Gllug] What is the Gnome & KDE difference??

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Wed Mar 29 08:00:54 UTC 2006

Emon writes:

>OK, my knowledge on this topic is close to zero... can someone please
>clarify the difference (if there is any) between Desktop Manager &
>Window Manager.

No. I doubt many others will be able to do so either. A window
manager is an application that manages your windows (duh!). It's
what draws the borders around the edge of your app, and allows
you to move windows around the screen, iconify them, provide root
menus etc. What people call a desktop environment may also offer
a launcher/task bar, a file manager, a set of desktop icons, a
list of conventions to which an app should conform (behvioural
guidelines, standard ways of presenting a user interface, etc.)
and other fluff. The problem is that some window managers provide
most of those, too. The line between wm and desktop environment
is blurred to say the least, and I've yet to see anyone give a
good explanation of exactly what a desktop environment is.

I use fvwm. Highly recommended.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk