[Gllug] Terrible weekend

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Mon Mar 6 19:00:43 UTC 2006

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Sharon Kimble wrote:

>On Sunday 05 March 2006 14:59, Minty wrote:
>>
>> I've found rdiff_backup [1] optionally with an ssh tunnel works nicely
>> what what I'm after.  Not huge daily volumes of data, and it was a
>> breeze to setup.
>>
>> I particularly like being able to get back to a particular file on a
>> particular date concept.
>>
>> [1] http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/
> My preference is for rsnapshot [http://www.rsnapshot.org/] which mirrors your
>selected directories from a config file in hourly/weekly/monthly according to
>the time specifications that are set in the config file and your cron job.
>Works nicely for me.

In a similar vein, pdumpfs will snapshot a directory structure, using hard
links and date based directory hierarchy to keep space usage down. You'd
have to dump the resulting hierarchy yourself for backup, a but it's
useful to keep online just for the accidental deleted file case.

I run it from cron every night.

>Sharon.

Christian

--