[Gllug] [Off-Topic] BIOS questions

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Mar 13 23:57:27 UTC 2006

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Tethys spake:

> Mike Brodbelt writes:
>
>>If enabled, it will lock your system if you attempt to update your
>>MBR bootloader.
>
> Of course, that might not be such a bad thing. If nothing else, it might
> get people into the habit of putting their bootloader in the first sector
> of the boot partition, which is a far more sensible place for it to live
> in the first place.

I don't really see the advantage of doing that, as you still need
*something* in the MBR pointing at that boot sector.

I suppose it means that the MBR gets rewritten less often, but TBH how
often do you get power cuts while that exact sector is being rewritten
by LILO? (If the answer's not `never', you're astonishingly unlucky.)

--
`Come now, you should know that whenever you plan the duration of your
 unplanned downtime, you should add in padding for random management
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk