[Gllug] LVM & RAID

Andy Smith andy at lug.org.uk
Sun Mar 5 22:47:37 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 12:45:37AM +0000, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> I'm about to set up a machine and would like to use both LVM and md on
> it. The machine will have two disks, and I want them set up as a mirror
> set, with LVM layered on top of this. I've not had cause to setup a
> machine with both before, and there seem to be several setup options -
> I'm curious if any of the LVM fans on the list have any specific
> suggestions, and reasons.

I don't like using initrd so I tend to put /boot and / outxpisde LVM,
in RAID 1s of their own.  Then the third RAID-1 would be the whole
rest of each drive, which would then be used as an LVM PV.

The kernel is able to assemble the md arays by itself by the UUIDs
on each partition, however I understand at some point in the future
this functionality will be deprecated and we'll all have to be using
initrd or initramfs.

All other filesystems are LVs inside that PV, and since it's LVM I
feel comfortable using many of them, e.g. /usr, /var, /tmp, maybe
even /usr/local.  Swap has to go somewhere, can be in here or
outside LVM, but bear in mind that if you want your machine to stay
up when a disk fails then the swap needs to be inside md.

--
http://strugglers.net/wiki/Xen_hosting -- A Xen VPS hosting hobby
Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB