[Gllug] Network Attached Storage recommendations

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Mar 9 09:57:04 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 09:16 +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 12:08:10AM +0000, Dylan wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm looking for a NAS unit to use as a 'live' backup/mirror device for a
> > small business. Any experiences to pass on or recommendations of makes
> > to steer clear of?
>
> If you want something low-maintenance and reasonably cheap, try the
> Buffalo Terastations.  The home server type are very cheap and the Pro
> models can be organised to backup to/from eachother if you buy more than
> one.  Both types do RAID 0, 1 or 5.

They look quite interesting.  Do you have technical information on them
- like processor, RAM etc?  I've downloaded the supposed specification
sheets from the manufacturer's site but it's curiously lacking in
technical data.  A web search hasn't thrown up much either.

It might make a handy home server, provided one can install one's own
software on it.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk