[Gllug] GIS - anyone using open source spatial stuff under Linux?

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Mon Mar 13 23:00:19 UTC 2006

I'm looking at a project (as a volunteer) with a nature
conservation/environmental organisation in West Oxfordshire that will
require development of GIS data and "displays". One element is to create
educational "bootable CD/DVDs" containing stuff about the local
environment. For all the obvious reasons open source is the way to go if
we can make it work!

I know nothing - literally nothing - about GIS apart from it being
pretty maps on computer screens linked to databases. Yes, that bad. And
I'm still a relatively shallow user of Linux (suse mostly).

So looks like I've some catching up to do...

Anyone around here with knowledge of, or is using, open source GIS and
other spatial display applications?

Just trying to make contact, really. Can't even be too specific about
what exactly we are trying to achieve yet...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk