[Gllug] Nasty characters creeping in on xorg desktop

john at sinodun.org.uk john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri May 19 11:36:03 UTC 2006

I´ve just installed Etch on a new box and I´m having trouble
with apostrophes and quotation marks under X (xorg).  The relevant keys
work fine in a text screen, but under X I have to press each one twice to
get the character to appear and although what appears looks like an
apostrophe it´s not putting the standard ASCII character in my text.
Witness this message.

Anyone know why it´s doing it and what I can do to cure it?  The
relevant stanza from xorg.conf is:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"