[Gllug] Manual arp configuration for usb networking

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Mon May 22 23:54:15 UTC 2006

Has anyone used usb networking under Linux? I have a Gumstix[1] machine
that I've connected up to my laptop with a USB cable[2]. However, the
two can't see each other, at least at the IP level. I've given both ends
a static IP on 192.168.16.0/24. If I tcpdump on the laptop, I can see
arp request coming in from the Gumstix on usb0, and replies going out.
However, the arp table on the Gumstix isn't being updated.

Any ideas on how I can manually configure the arp table on the Gumstix?
It doesn't have the arp command, and it only has the busybox verion
of ip, so I can't use "ip neighbour add". /proc/net/arp looks like a
read-only interface, so I can't use that either.

Tet

[1] http://www.gumstix.org

[2] Grrr. Pesky modern computers. WTF is the point of a laptop without a
    fscking serial port? How else am I meant to fix a broken server in the
    datacentre? Does anyone have any recommendations for USB->serial or
    PCMCIA->serial solutions that work under Linux?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk