[Gllug] SwitchedOnUK

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 15 22:41:22 UTC 2006

On Wed 15 Nov, Matthew Thompson wrote:
> On 15 Nov 2006, at 21:17, Chris Bell wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >    I have tried to get some sense out of a site provided by BT called
> >
> > http://www.switchedonuk.org
> >
> > which claims to be about future BT upgrades. I have never before
> > seen so
> > many pages with so little information about what they are about. Is it
> > supposed to be a change to IPv6, or ADSL2, or...??? Or is it just an
> > internal BT equipment upgrade?
>
> It's their - this is why we're switching our entire TDM network over
> to IP based technologies - website.
>
> You may have seen the 21st Century Network being mentionned in
> places. This is BT's official customer facing site for it.
>
> www.samknows.com has a nice map displaying when sites are likely to
> migrate.
>
> M at t :o)

   I easily found the provisional date for my exchange to be upgraded, but
the only other information given is that there may be a short break during
the upgrade, and I probably do not need to do anything. BT do not always
manage to maintain service anyway, and there is nothing much I can do when
things do break. So what's new? If they said that analogue equipment would
no longer be usable, or I will be able to (or must) use digital phones, the
website might be useful.

--
Chris Bell