[Gllug] Is there any demand for rsync based offsite backup?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Nov 1 23:27:02 UTC 2006

On 31 Oct 2006, Jason Clifford said:
> Is this something people might be interested in and, if so, would you be
> willing to pay a couple of quid a month for a few hundred MB of storage?

Like a shot. The irreplaceable parts of my $HOME and patches I'm working
on, encrypted and rsynced across incrementally, oh yes. Peace of mind.

(I mean, yes, I'm storing them in .il and on CD and RAID-5 already, but
you can't be too paranoid, and when it comes to secure places for remote
backup storage a friend's flat in Jerusalem is perhaps not the safest
place on Earth. I mean, what happens if I lose a couple of disks out of
the RAID array and then my house gets burgled and my machine with the
CD-RW drive gets nicked and so do my local backups?[1] The CDs at work
are months and months old and restoring even critical stuff from that
rather intermittently- connected .il site would be a sod. This would be
a godsend to get things back up again in extremis, oh yes.)

In the further future, a distributed peer-to-peer encrypted backup
service would be a superb idea: I'd recommend something like freenet,
with the additional constraints that you can back up exactly as much
space as you make available for others to back stuff up, and that
decryption keys are *not* distributed, so you can only restore stuff you
have personally backed up or that others have explicitly sent you the
keys for.  (That should reduce the temptation for people to use it as a
way to distribute the latest fascinating 500Gb bootleg AVI of 1000 hours
of George W. Bush's speeches or whatever.)

[1] the burglar won't find the machine with the RAID array. Burglars
    rarely have time to rifle through lofts. :)

--
`When we are born we have plenty of Hydrogen but as we age our
 Hydrogen pool becomes depleted.'