[Gllug] Dual socket AM2 motherboards?

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Mon Oct 2 07:26:19 UTC 2006

On Oct 02, 07:24, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> >Dell however - now there's a company I wouldn't buy from in a hurry.
> >Appalling tech support, no interest in Linux at all, as much as possible
> >outsourced to the cheapest bidder....

Dell's problem for a while has been its failure to listen to its
customers.  Recent loss of market share is helping fix that failing.
They also tend AFAIK to release driver info for partners rather than
main stream kernel development which means you end up with kit that will
only run RHE4 and not Ubuntu.

I recently had a rant at a Dell customer manager when they advised us to
just run approved distros read expensive RHES or Suse enterprise.

When a customer says I want to run Debian on a box I need to say 'yes
sir' not wouldn't you rather run this for $$$ per year.

> My recent shopping trip for a 2u server has perhaps weakened my resolve
> to avoid them :)

2950s dual, dual core Xeon's SAS drives and IPMI through both gig NICs
nice, though SAS doesn't come into its own for a while.

If you buy from Dell, pistol whip and urinate on them first it is the
only way they will respect you.  We bought upwards of a dozen 2950's a
month from them and there attitude and more importantly delivery times
sucked.  A month ago we told them to take a flying **** and started
buying IBM since then they have been falling over themselves to offer
free training and other extras.  We now play the two off against each
other and having a 10-20 day build time has made life fun again.

Jim :)

--
Peace Jim :-)

 The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.
 --David Icke

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk