[Gllug] ObNaive: Why don't Linux systems get package database rot? Or do they?

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 04:00:41 UTC 2006

On 11/09/06, Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> > Christopher Currie wrote:
> >> there must be some risk of similar errors
> >> and degradation which might corrupt package installation and hence,
> >> eventually, the system. Or isn't there?
> >>

> > The difference here is that a corrupt package DB will not stop the
> > machine booting,  a corrupt registry might as the registry contains far
> > more information than what's installed where.
>
> I tend to think the biggest difference is in how the software is
> packaged. Windows software tends to be very poorly put together -
> installs lay down vast amounts of registry cruft, and uninstalls rarely
> remove it. Add to that the fact software tends to run as admin, and the
> registry is used as a combination of package database, configuration
> storage for OS and application software, and hardware confiuration
> repository, without any sensible separation and it's hardly surprising
> the result is frangible and tends to degrade over time. Application
> developers are rarely well behaved, which compounds the problem.
>
> Contrast this with Debian, which works very well. People like to
> attribute this success to apt, but they're wrong to do so. The strength
> of Debian lies in the policy, and the effort put in by those who package
> the software for the distribution.
>
> > The solution in either case is the same: a well tested backup regime.
>
> For Windows, a rapid re-install system is better - backing up the whole
> system actually doesn't help. You want to re-install apps from clean
> packages, and then restore your data on top.
>
> Mike
> --

Look at GConf its just as unstable as the windows registry. If I
switch it on on my machine it freezes instantly. It does weid
unfavanble things to the desktops at work so its switched off. I would
like it because then I could use nautaulus to put icons on the
desktops but I tend to just ovoide Gnome software.....
Perhaps comparing the registry to gconf is a better comparison.

Peter.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk