[Gllug] LinuxDoc / DocBook Documentation Writting

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Sep 14 19:17:42 UTC 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Peter Ryland spake:
> Anyway, the biggest beef I have with grammar checkers is that they don't
> take into account the context nor the intentions of the author (like
> suggesting the avoidance of passive voice on a scientific experiment
> report).

Agreed. Often they don't even spot the passive, and complain about
constructs that aren't even passive: it's hard to spot all uses of
the passive and a lot of grammar checker authors don't even seem to
understand that `passive' and `past tense' aren't the same :(

>           Also, users need to actually grok grammar anyway in order to
> fix their sentences appropriately.

Well, they generally *do* grok grammar internally, but that's not enough
to understand what a grammar checker is trying to tell you.

--
`In typical emacs fashion, it is both absurdly ornate and
 still not really what one wanted.' --- jdev
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk