[Gllug] LinuxDoc / DocBook Documentation Writting

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Thu Sep 14 13:56:23 UTC 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 14:13, John G Walker wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:47:00 +0100 Tom Schutzer-Weissmann
>
> <trmsw at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > "I'm going to London and talk on global warming."
> >
> > No passing resemblance to the imperative "go and do something", or the
> > entirely normal "I'm going to London to talk on global warming" is
> > going to hide the fact that this is nonsense.
>
> It's meaningful to me. Possibly the difference between us is how we
> imagine the context.

I don't usually wade in to this sort of language discussion - being a
theoretical linguist they tend to bore me because usually everyone is right.
In this case, however, Tom is right and John is wrong. Although it is
possible to extrapolate the intended meaning from the sentence, said sentence
is ungrammatical. In co-ordinated structures, the two 'co-ordinands' must
match syntactically and semantically in various ways. In the example, there
are four possible co-ordinate structures:

1 - I ['m going to London] and [talk on global warming]
2 - I'm [going to London] and [talk on global warming]
3 - I'm going [to London] and [talk on global warming]
4 - I'm going to [London] and [talk on global warming]

In 1, the co-ordinands are semantically incompatible - one is an action
currently occurring or soon to be initiated; the other is a habitual
activity. In 2 the aspectual auxiliary (BE) cannot co-occur with 'bare
infinitive' TALK. Similarly, in 3, the modal auxiliary /going/ cannot
co-occur with a bare infinitive. In 4, the first co-ordinand requiteres TO to
function as a preposition, whereas the second requires it to be
the 'infinitive particle'.

This construction has absolutely nothing to do with GO and <VERB>, which is
actually not even a case of co-ordination.

Dylan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk