[Gllug] VOT: Family Cars

Rhys Powell stanley12 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Sep 25 09:26:02 UTC 2006

John Hearns wrote:
> Chris Bell wrote:
>>
>>    The old heavy diesel oils may give more power, but were difficult to
>> start in cold weather (we used ether for cold starting), and would part
>> freeze and separate, blocking the pipes. Used vegetable oil that is no
>> longer suitable for frying may need drying, but would probably be OK, and
>
> Sorry to pour cold water on this one.
> This was covered in the BBC London 'Inside Out' programme last week,
> with the feature on the family who are going green.
> Shot of the father with jerry can of vegetable oil - finds that the
> warranty on his VW Golf would be voided.
> Also covered in Honest John in the Telegraph - simple vegetable oil
> doesn't have the lubricants for a modern diesel injector pump.
> I don't claim any expertise whatsoever - yes vegetable oil for an old
> diesel Landy or a normal diesel engine.
> But I wouldn't put it anywhere near a modern turbodiesel.

Why not, especially if you have a mixture of say 50/50 (this can also
depend on the weather which can seriously affect the viscosity), there
are many things that a modern diesel engine will run on and last beyond
what the rest of the car will normally manage, so long as the additives
that provide lubrication are added in every so often or are in there all
the time even in diluted form.
	Not perfect but still better for the environment.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk