[Gllug] Anti-DRM event in Central London tomorrow!

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Sep 30 07:52:38 UTC 2006

On Saturday 30 September 2006 08:41, Nick Chorley wrote:
> On 29/09/06, Mike Brodbelt <mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> >
> > 2/ Copyright protection is intended to expire, and on its expiration the
> > protected content becomes free for use.
>
> Why is it supposed to expire? That seems kinda.. stupid :/.

Copyright is meant to last for a finite time.  Historically, Copyright died
with the death of the author of the material (which sort of seemed to work
for me), but more recent Copyright periods have been reduced to as little as
five years.

Presumably, these DRM schemes should disable themselves after (say) five
years!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk