[Gllug] problem accessing a website

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 4 21:52:05 UTC 2006

Pooly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since several weeks, I'm unable to access http://www.planetmysql.org/
> both from home and from the office (the ISP is BT in both case), but
> this w-e I went back to France and I had no problem accessing it.
> Here, I can ping the server but lynx and firefox don't want to display
> anything. Could you connect to the website ? What should I do to fix
> the problem ?

This kind of thing often happens with sites behind broken routers, when
your kernel is setting TCP options that aren't correctly handled. Two
common culprits are TCP ECN, and sliding window support. Try "cat
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn". If that returns a 1, you might want to try
switching it off (echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn), and then try again.

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk