[Gllug] Recommendations for an IMAP server

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 20 18:24:17 UTC 2006

Alain Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 04:51:12PM +0100, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>
>>John Winters wrote:
>>
>>>courier-imap
>>>dovecote-imapd
>>>bincimap
>>
>>cyrus
>

> Cyrus is good, but can be a pig to set up.

I didn't find it that bad. I used SUSE Enterprise 9, which includes it.
 From my documentation the only things that I had to work out were:

unixhierarchysep: yes

Otherwise you can't have "."s in the user part of email addresses. With
the above you can't have "/"s but this is much less common. There
doesn't seem to be any way to allow both except to use aliasing at the
MTA level. Our standard for email addresses is "initials.surname at .." so
we need this.

lmtp_downcase_rcpt: yes

Otherwise addresses are case sensitive and they shouldn't be. I find
this a strange default;

duplicatesuppression: no

Won't hit most people. If an email arrives with a message ID which is
the same as one previously sent to the same recipient, it is suppressed
by default. Message IDs should't be duplicated so it shouldn't matter.
We have a program which generates emails and generates its own message
IDs, so when the email is sent the MTA doesn't generate another. The
problem arises when such an email is resent because the recipient
accidentally deleted it and wants it back.

I use postfix as the MTA (the SUSE default) and all I had to do to it
was add the cyrus transport.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk