[Gllug] server sleeping

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Sep 14 00:02:42 UTC 2006

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, t. clarke wrote:
> Silly question possibly  -  but have you tried running Memtest86 on the machine?
> a dodgy chip can cause all sorts of problems with the machine gets busy and uses
> up all its RAM!

In my experience a good few GCC bootstraps can find memory and CPU
faults that a memtest86 can easily miss.

Hell, memtest86 *and* memtest86+ *both* missed a faulty RAM chip that
was bad enough that md5sums of a 10Mb file came out different four times
out of five. It'll basically only find RAM that's *really* bad: an area
of RAM that only goes wrong if you write the wrong specific pattern to
it, or to neighbouring cells, is likely to be missed.

--
`In typical emacs fashion, it is both absurdly ornate and
 still not really what one wanted.' --- jdev
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk