[Gllug] Linux invalidates your HP warranty

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Wed Apr 4 17:48:12 UTC 2007

In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0704041729340.15945-100000 at lucy.ukfsn.org>,
Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> writes

>"HP software products are subject to HP's standard licence terms posted in
>the HP Store. Non-HP software products and, exceptionally, some HP
>software products may be subject to different licence terms, as provided
>with such products."
>
>That is not sufficient to introduce those unknown license term into the
>contract. In order for a term to be valid in a contract it actually has to
>be there and to be lawful.

There is also the issue that the software license is from another
company, not a party to the contract. Your contract is with your
supplier and not with Microsoft. Of course I'm not a lawyer, so what do
I know....

>The HP warranty listed in their ordering system is actually unlawful under
>English, and EU, law. It seeks to limit the warranty to 6 months and
>contains a number of other unlawful claims. As it is invalid the warranty
>reverts to that provided under consumer law.

Isn't there a clause which says "void where prohibited by local law" or
something similar.

>> I understand your points entirely, I just refute them.
>
>But not with anything other than your opinion which is totally contrary to
>reality.

In this case we're talking about the law. If you want to claim that your
interpretation of the law is better then someone else's I would expect
you to cite the cases that set precedent.

If you want a legal opinion, hire a lawyer. If you want a definitive
legal opinion, buy a judge.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com