[Gllug] Securely disposing of old hard drives

John Southern john at sinoda.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 23:27:55 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 13:00:06 paul at ma1.se wrote:
> For hard drive disposal this crunching/shredder offers a "final solution
> " for hard drives.
>
> http://www.sitd.co.uk/data_removal_services.htm
>
> Recover that!

One Torx screwdriver and about three minutes of cursing whoever put stickers
over the last screw and you have the platters in hand plus the strong magnets
to weld themselves and small animals to the fridge. Probably could hold big
animals, but I have none to hand.

One stepper for the spares box and many micro screws for the future*.
Ten hard disks give about a one inch high stack which as they are so shiny are
good for ensuring my lathe is true and square.

Or you could just take the top off and leave them on your desk. Sooner rather
than later someone will pick one up and unable to resist, will put a perfect
set of prints on the platter. I have an almost complete office set.

* You will of course keep these in an old coffee jar in the garage for future
generations to laugh at.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk