[Gllug] Securely disposing of old hard drives

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Aug 20 11:10:04 UTC 2007

I'm intrigued by the number of people advocating destruction.

IIRC, the original brief was that MI5-grade was *not* required.  Most of
the suggestions so far seem to have been made on the assumption that
MI5-grade is required.

Surely a simple pass of sfill or just dd'ing several different sources
(/dev/zero, /dev/urandom) to the entire disc would be enough to secure
the drives against all but the most determined data-recoverer with
extremely expensive equipment?  Is your data worth somebody spending a
six figure sum to recover?  I suspect not - mine certainly isn't.

Once I'd done that to a disc I'd be happy to Freecycle it.  Destroying a
perfectly functional device goes against the grain.  If I did that sort
of thing I'd never end up with 29 computers.  :-)

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk