[Gllug] Reminder - Protest BBC iPlayer Tomorrow - Tuesday August 14

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Aug 13 10:20:46 UTC 2007

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 10:51:08AM +0100, Ashley Evans wrote:
> I think that this is great but I thought the the BBC, after the
> e-petition was so successful, to re-engineer the player so as to include
> osx and linux users.  Have I missed something?

The BBC Trust critised the BBC governors, but fudged the issue, just
saying they'd audit the BBC's actions every six months[1].  So no
pressure then.

The reality is that a binary-only iPlayer which works on Linux/i386
and still implements MS DRM isn't any better.

We paid for this stuff.  Every single actor, production company,
internal and external BBC resource used to make it, was paid from our
license fees.  Why can't we get to use it any way we see fit?  If
proving that I paid the license fee is a problem, I'll happily tap in
my license fee details before the download starts, and get a DRM-free
version I can use anywhere and on anything.  Who knows - the BBC might
even be able to sell TV licenses abroad this way?

Rich.

[1] http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051235

--
Richard Jones