[Gllug] OT: Paying for stuff

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Aug 4 15:08:50 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 15:48 +0100, Caroline Ford wrote:

> Related to this I noticed that Royal Mail are now charging an £8 flat
> handling fee for items that have customs charges, on top of whatever you
> have to pay customs. Customs charges start on goods that cost about £18
> IIRC. Don't go taking advantage of the pound/dollar exchange rate will
> you..

I have done recently - I bought a small pile of desktop computers from
Dell for roughly half the price that I would have paid here!  Even when
carriage and duty was paid, the saving was huge.  Also they came with
Ubuntu pre-installed.

Dell sales claimed that they won't ship outside the USA, so I pointed
out that my order was no different to one from an American serviceman
posted over here.  They were forced to concede that I was right, and the
machines arrived in five days!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk