[Gllug] [OT] Re: cheap disk source

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 12:24:49 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 01:41:09PM +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
> Anthony Newman <anthony.newman at ossified.net> writes:
>
> > John Hearns wrote:
> >>
> >> Of course, if you have the requirement and the budget (ie twice the
> >> number of disks!) there is RAID 51 - mirrored RAID 5 sets.
> >> You pays your money and you takes your choice.
> >>

> > I would contend that "RAID15" (RAID-5 on mirrored pairs) would be
> > superior. Proof of this is left as an exercise to the reader ;)
>
> After various fun with machines, I've ended up moving to LVM-on-RAID-1.
>
> RAID-1 because it's clean and simple - you can always find a pair of
> mostly-matched drives (or split a drive in 2 and use it as halves of two
> mirrors if needed).

Eh -- are you saying what I think you are: keeping both copies on the same disk ?
If the disk fails you loose both copies!!!

When building systems for customers I put in disks and RAID-1 them, I
specify same sized disks from different manufacturers under the theory that
they are more likely to fail at different times.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk