[Gllug] pata software Raid

Alvin Chang alvin.chang at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 03:41:49 UTC 2007

On 09/08/07, Peter Ball <CFL at marguet-ball.net> wrote:
> Hi
<snip>
> Assuming that my logic is correct the thing that interests me is whether the cd/dvd will slow
> the bus down for the hd.
In theory No, but in practice Yes.
Even if both of your drives (whether HD/CD/DVD) are configured with
UDMA, when there are requests due for the CD/DVD, it takes a sh*t load
of time to respond to any commands such as SEEK & READ compared to
your HD, and don't get me started on the spin-up time. Just remember
there is only one queue for one IDE channel. So, it's possible to hold
up the whole queue with a faulty/slow CD/DVD drive.

Also, most of CD/DVD are configured with UDMA2 while your HD is
usually UDMA5. I am not certain how much this will affect performance.

--
Alvin Chang Yu-Ming
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk