[Gllug] Building a DSL router/access point

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 23:03:17 UTC 2007

On Wed 08 Aug, Phil Reynolds wrote:

> I am looking to replace my current FreeBSD box, which only really serves
> the purposes of DHCP server and (rarely used) NAT router, and if
> possible my DSL router as well, with something running Debian GNU/Linux.

   I am currently running on a HiPoint ADSL2+ modem which has integral
wireless and a four port switch. Access between all switch ports, the
wireless port, and the internet are fully configurable. It runs embedded
Linux on ARM hardware, although I have not been told which distribution.
   I am also checking some small boxes with RJ45 uplink, 4-port 10/100
store-and-forward ethernet switch, USB "printer port", and the facilities
expected from a modern ADSL modem/router but without the ADSL modem itself,
and some secondhand ADSL modems with various specifications, reported faults
appear to be aliases of finger trouble, and all are running Linux on ARM.
   All the boxes are powered from separate 13 amp PSU-in-a-plug units, with
configuration available via their own web pages.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk