[Gllug] OT: Paying for stuff

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Aug 5 09:21:13 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 19:57 +0100, Andy Farnsworth wrote:

> Actually, it can and is very different shipping to a US Serviceman
> posted over here.  The US Gov't provides a US based APO address to all
> gov't employees posted outside the US.  Then, anything shipped to that
> address is then delivered by "the gov't" in their respective country
> bypassing customs.  This is also a recyprical agreement so UK citizens
> working for the UK gov't in the US can do the same thing.

I know.  It's like our BFPO system.  However, Dell don't bother with the
APO, as the service is appalling.  They always use UPS or Fed Ex.

I recently had to send a number of computer-sized boxes to various parts
of the world, and was pleasantly surprised by how little Fed Ex actually
costs compared to the Post Office - and they collect from your premises!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk