[Gllug] Computer Fair and Nottinghill Carnival

Colin Murphy colin at spudulike.me.uk
Sun Aug 26 18:49:11 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-26 at 13:32 +0100, Nix wrote:
> On 26 Aug 2007, Colin Murphy outgrape:
> > As others have said already, the computer fair Andy was referring to is
> > a Saturday only jobbie in Tottenham Court Road.  In truth there are two,
> > sometimes three, fairs all in Tottenham Court Road
>
> Ooh. I only know of the one (the one that recently moved entrances due
> to construction work or whatever, in/under a hotel); should I be walking
> further up the road?

There are the BCF fairs, the main one is in the Wyndeyer Building in
Cleaveland Street.  BCF used to run a 2nd fair in Huntley Street, on the
opposite (ish) side of Tottenhma Court Road.  It was these shows that
one admission stamp would allow entry to both venues. The Huntley Street
venue is only used if the Wyndeyer venue reaches maximum capacity.

The third show is the one I think you have spotted, in a hotel between
the Dominion Theatre and the TUC building at the south end of Tottenham
Court Road. Depending, again, on how busy they expect to be, they have
two venues, with access from the front or back of the same hotel, Great
Russell Street or Bain(something) Street respectively.

> > There is a daily computer fair, though I think it is fairer to think of
> > it as a bazaar, in Queensway, the top end by the park, hours are
> > something like 11am to 7pm. Queensway wouldn't be too far for Notting
> > Hill either.
>
> That's useful too, thanks.

It can be but it is also a hit and miss affair.  Best to pay it a visit
before you actually need something.

> (as far as I know Bedford, Stevenage and Peterborough are devoid of such
> things

If you do head down to London then maybe the Wood Green fair
http://www.wizardfairs.com/index02.html be better, being walking
distance from Alexandra Palace station which you must pass on your way
in on the train, save you the cost of the central London trip as well.

--
Must go; places to be, people to do, stuff to, err, stuff.
Colin at SpudULike.me.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk